Friday, November 30, 2012

[What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why]

This poem is one of my favorites. I say that a lot, but it doesn't make it any less than the truth. The way this was written just... Pardon the cheesiness, but it kind of just spoke to me--I understood it and I understood what was being said because, in a way, this relates on a personal level. 

Edna St. Vincent Millay didn't write this to be positive, that much is obviously clear within the first line we read: "What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why." I automatically think of multiple partners that didn't mean much, because of the what, where, and why. If the partners meant anything to the speaker, she (presumably) would remember who she shared the kisses with. She would remember where, and why. But she doesn't. 

"I have forgotten, and what arms have lain / Under my head till morning; but the rain / Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh / Upon the glass and listen for reply."

My favorite part. It's depressing, it's heartbreaking and just screams loneliness and possibly regret, but it's beautifully worded at the same time, and almost seems to level out the dreariness. However, we once again get nearly the same message as the first line. She doesn't remember who she's been with, and perhaps she's regretting that, and wishing that the loneliness will wash away with the rain pattering against the window. Or maybe that's just me. An underlying message that we get is that she wants to forget her past lovers. They haunt her like ghosts and they remind her of all the mistakes and the regrets she has in her life.

The last parts of the poem is where we get a sense of finality to it all.

"Thus in the winter stands the lonely tree, / Nor knows what birds have vanished one by one." 

In other words, she's not as young as she used to be, and because of that she's all alone. The vanishing birds symbolize how all of her past company have simply left, presumably because she's just old. And at the very end, it's almost as if she's reminiscing; a bit nostalgic, even. She remembers everybody that's come and gone, though not in detail. She remembers what it was like, but she doesn't have that anymore. "I cannot say what loves have come and gone; / I only know that summer sang in me / A little while, that in me sings no more." 

This poem is so devastating and heartbreaking, but it also tells us a story about this woman who basically used up her time with people who didn't matter, whom she wouldn't remember later on in her life. I think that there's a lesson to be learned from this--to find somebody you'll remember. Build a relationship that will last, instead of building ones that will only last for a short while. 








3 comments:

  1. Edna St. Vincent Millay is one of my most favorite poets. I really didn't have any personal connection this poem. I have never actually been in a relationship, other than the one I'm in now. So I do not know what it's like to lose a significant other. So many people now a day's rush into relationships. They don't really think about the consequences they'll face. A person can't run from the past though, we have to learn from our mistakes. Even when we have improved our lives, the mistakes are still there, they are part of who we are. I personally can't forget things that have happened. I have never been able to. I hold stuff in and keep replaying it in my head, which is why I don't think I had a real personal connection to this poem. I agree with what you said about it being beautifully worded. I think this is what made me feel her pain though, she IS getting old and she has basically wasted her life with people that don't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ThisI despise you for getting this before I did. But what can I say the early bird gets the worm. But I loved the sadness in this sonnet. I was getting sick of it but this is what made me change my mind. Hearing about what I believed to be all of her lost loves, actually really breathtaking to me. What lips my lips have kissed, so is she also saying she got around? Joking, male humor. But it does actually make me sad hearing about her being all alone, losing everyone. This sonnet actually made me take another chance on our poetry section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hear your voice in my head as I read this. xD

      Delete