Tuesday, November 20, 2012

One Perfect Rose by Dorothy Parker


Right when I began reading I thought to myself “oh great, another annoying love poem” but when I got to the ending stanza I began to actually grow an interest. It even made me laugh because I can honestly see myself as the narrator. Anyway, this girl is obviously the object of a lot boys’ affection and it’s blatantly clear to her. She gets tokens of their love constantly which is shown by the lines “Ah no, it’s always just my luck to get/ one perfect rose”. This guy who gives her the rose that starts off the first two stanzas is spilling his heart out to her but she’s complaining in her mind “why is it no one ever sent me yet/ one perfect limousine, do you suppose?” 
On the outside she seems like a stuck up brat who just wants money, that’s symbolized by the limousine. She receives a letter of true love by some boy and all she wants is money? What a snot.
I ended up sympathizing with the girl, the last lines where she says “ah no, it’s always just my luck to get/ one perfect rose” just seemed so sad to me. Yeah she’s having herself a pity party, but receiving all these roses must get tiresome. I do still think that it is rude that she doesn’t seem to appreciate the rose but can you imagine how many guys do this to the narrator daily? Money is very important though, but only because of the time period the poem was written. In 1937 they had to go through the depression (no duh), of course this girl would want money over a token of love. If I was living in during that event I’d want some rich guy to sweep me off my feet too. 
Even if I did disregard the time era I still sympathize with her. She could be getting all of these suitors but how many of them actually work out? All of these boys could be leaving her in the dust after a month, and now her craving of love is dead and she only wants the necessities, money, a home, and food.

3 comments:

  1. It was interesting the view you took on this poem, Kolbi... I did not get anywhere as deep as you did. I view this piece as one about a young girl (maybe spoiled, maybe not)who doesn't really want love, or a man's heart. There is nothing wrong with that necessarily, just a cold hard fact. She'd rather something that was worth a cent in material objects rather than ones of the heart. I defiantly side with her- I would much rather have money for college or a successful career than the hand of a boy and his pretty rose... but that's just me. I really liked the connection you made with the time period having an effect on the speaker; I agree all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devil's Advocate! I feel more inclined to say that maybe she is just being a brat. That this man, on his own, has given her the perfect roses. The one perfect rose, that at first, I'm sure, she loved and adored. Though now, she is use to the message the flowers he sends are saying. That she's grown tired of it, and him. Maybe she wants something new. Someone new. Probably, like you said because of the time era, someone better off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear all of you saying what you write in your posts. :)

    ReplyDelete