Monday, November 26, 2012

Anonymous (Is this it's name?)


Is it bad that I adored this poem? I mean I know it was sad and tragic, but I kind of liked that fact. When read aloud the words blended together to make it something beautiful and happy, at least that's how I took it as. It made her death this beautiful thing, something she probably wasn't used to. I mean, the author didn't even bother naming her. Making her death this beautiful thing gave her a sort of respect that she should have gotten before she died.

My first reaction when I read it was this girl was a poor girl, she wore and most likely made a dress of newspaper (Line 2) because these were the only materials she was able to get a hold of. But I imagined the dress being this beautiful thing and no one had been able to realize she was this no named poor girl. I think at that ball she felt accepted somewhere, despite her class, she was beautiful and people noticed. Even if it was when she was catching fire, they still noticed her and she was the center of attention for that short while. Looking down from wherever she went afterward, she was probably happy for that moment of being noticed.

Most girls today like attention, but the ones who don't ask for it, need it the most in my opinion. This girl was one of the ones that didn't speak it, but she needed the attention. I think she honestly died happy. She felt cared about for once, even if it was just a strangers care, it was still probably more than she had had. My favorite line had to be "Front page, sporting section and all." (Line 6) I loved this line because it just flows so well, the rhyme in this poem is not forced at all. I really liked how whoever wrote this used the word 'front page' and newspaper, because this girl needed the attention that a newspaper would give her. The only thing I wondered was how in the world did she catch on fire?

The girl was a tragic loss, but she died happy.

6 comments:

  1. When I read this poem, I got nothing blanked on all of it. Quite cleary you got a lot out of this, maybe it is because I am a boy? That this poem had so much more of a feministic view point that made me not comprehend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could quite possibly be it, but I think boys even sometimes feel unwanted. It's a normal human feeling, but I can see how you would not get anything from it. It does have a more feminstic view point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. . I liked the poem also, I saw a poor girl, who got a dress and was finally able go out and enjoy something that I think was like us being able to go to prom. The only flaw of this wonderful night of her’s was the dress caught on fire and it killed her. It was a very bitter sweet poem, with joy of being able to experiences something for once in your life but having that be your last, was curl and I’m sorry but it’s what made me hate the poem also. How awful would it be to have gotten to do something you always wanted to and you die from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I didn't hate it, but it really was a little depressing. At the moment she finally gets happiness, she burns. Is it heartless for me to say at least she died happy even though burning sounds like an extremely painful death? Not sure if I see the bright side to this, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, first off, I was going to do this poem, but now I'm happy I didn't because I didn't go anywhere near as deep as you did. I just thought it was quirky and senselessly happy, like a majority of limericks. I was like, "a girl wore a newspaper dress and it burned off of her. Funny." And then you guys are like, "She died." Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Alex. When I read it I was just like "Okay she wore a newspaper as a dress and it got burned." I did not think that she died because of it. That idea just some how didn't get processed into my brain. I also agree with what you said Charlene, on how the girls that are not asking for attention needs the attention instead of the girls that are asking for it.

    ReplyDelete