Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Spring and Fall by Gerard Manley Hopkins


            Right in the beginning the author tells you what is happening, a young girl named Margaret is sad about the leaves falling and the trees “dying”. Hopkins goes on and tells Margaret that her heart will become numb to these events and will soon become meaningless to her, but she will cry only for different reasons. But line 11 (which is my favorite) says, “Sorrow’s springs are the same”, which means that no matter what your reason of crying is it has the same source as all of your other reasons. The last line is what shows the true reason of her sadness though, “it is Margaret you mourn for”. Poor Margaret’s soul (line12 & 13) knew what she was sad about the whole entire time, which is of Margaret’s aging and death.
            The reason why I say this is because the title made it so obvious, Margaret is the spring in the poem She’s full of life and energy like how the trees are in spring. Soon she will grow old and then die like the trees in fall.
            I read this poem in an upbeat tone, like if Hopkins was so content and accepting of what will happen to Margaret and the rest of the human race. It felt that he was sitting next to her and trying to comfort Margaret but only scared her for life. It did confuse me when he began to add his own accents to words (lines 1,3, and 5). The poem did get to me like a few poems we have read all ready did, especially with such a memorable line as “sorrow’s springs are the same”! Lines twelve and thirteen were also pretty to me; I loved the sound the three h’s made even though they were so far apart. The rhyme at the end also seemed fitting to me, it went with the upbeat tone I heard in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment