Saturday, November 17, 2012

"Sic Vita" by Henry King :D


My favorite poem I read in this reading was "Sic Vita" by Henry King. This poem caught my eye mainly because of the language! The language in it just made the poem imagery so vivid. I personally have seen all these things like the "silver drops of morning dew" and "bubbles which on water stood". I just thought it was so comforting and it brought back memories. Then I turned to the next page and I realized that it doesn't last. A man really borrows light, he doesn't own the light himself. I really loved the last stanza when it talked about the dew drying up, wind blowing out, and man being forgot. It just proves how insignificant our lives really are, I mean, we should still make them worth living, but we can't dwell on the things we can't change. Even the worst things that happen to us as humans pass. We need to make every day worth living. To prove that we are significant. If we just go through life with our heads held down what would we have accomplished? Our life would just be insignificant.
I really loved the message this poem had, I have been going through some hard times and dwelling on the things I can not change, but this poem enlightened me quite a bit. It made me realize by dwelling upon those things we can not change, we are wasting our lives. There are some things that just CAN NOT be changed. You can try as hard as you want, but truly you can't change someones mind once it is made up.
This poem could also be taken from a religious type standpoint, I think. We should always thank whoever we may think "created us". We would not be here if it weren't for them. This could even be taken as thanking your parents for making you into the person you are today!

(Not sure if this is what I was supposed to do, but I did it!) :D

1 comment: