Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sound and Sense by Alexander Pope--WHITNEY'S POST

Sound and Sense by Alexander Pope
I am not a fan of too much rhyme in poetry, but this poem was actually a little interesting to me.
 While reading it I noticed that Alexander was portraying different ways of creating a poem. Even though this poetry unit is teaching us all these different characteristics of poems like sound, it seems like this particular poem is telling us about all types as if all the characteristics of a poem are in this poem including sound itself by the pattern of vowels and rhythm. 
I personally thought it was kind of neat how this was done. While reading a second time, I noticed that there was a connection to music. 
Poetry in a way already has a connection to music, but “Sound and Sense” shows that a poet’s work is like their own song. Or at least that’s what I got out of it. It was cool how towards the end of the poem Greek tradition, a Greek hero, and the Trojan war was mentioned because when I read the information it said that we can thank the Greeks for systemizing a metered poem which obviously what this poem is.
 I know my response isn’t too long, but this is what I got out of it and it wasn’t really a poem to make a personal connection with.   (_ )

No comments:

Post a Comment