Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sir Patrick Spens by Anonymous


Just by the way it is written, I feel like it should be read out loud using a very thick or noticeable Scottish accent just so that the poem can stick into your brain more then it would if it was just read in your normal voice. I kind of liked this poem even though it took me a while to realize what some of the words translated into and also a while to remember that there are footnotes explaining some of the words. I kind of feel like it was a bit of a story but in poem form. The king wants a sailor to sail his ship so an “eldern knicht” (Pg. 1008 Line 5), which I'm guessing is translated into “older knight” says that Sir Patrick Spens is the best sailor. 
The king then writes to Sir Patrick basically asking him to sail his ship. I'm guessing he agrees since line 35-36 says “Or ere they see Sir Patrick Spens/ come sailing to the land”. The last stanza makes me think that Sir Patrick died on his way there because of what the last two lines say. “And there lies guid Sir Patrick Spens/ Wi' the Scots lords at his feet.”. I feel like maybe he was sick and wasn't sailing anymore even though he was described as “the best sailor/ that sails upon the sea.” (lines 6-7). 
But when he got the letter from the king, he decided to sail again just for the sake of the king but on the way he ended up dying from his sickness. Lines 33 and 37 both start with the words “O lang, lang” I don't get if the word lang is supposed to mean something or if it's just there to fill the spot or if it's supposed to have something to do with the fact both lines refer to the ladies that are waiting in some way. 

I really do love what is said about the time it was written "probably 13th century". I just find that a little funny. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree. This can only be read with a thick accent. Otherwise, it makes no sense. Like with Blude-reid. I had no idea what it meant, so I checked the footnote, went back and read it with the accent again. It made perfect sense. Also, I think that the men and Sir Patrick Spens died while traveling because of a storm. Lines 23-24 talk about a deadly storm then at the end it says the ladies won't see their lords anymore.

    ReplyDelete