Monday, December 3, 2012

"Sonnet" Billy Collins

I found that “Sonnet” is more of a free-verse, it’s very light-hearted. I thought this poem is an example of a more modern sonnet form. There is even a sort of a half rhyme with "beans" in line 4 and the last 2 syllables of "Elizabethan” in line 5. I noticed there is sort of an allusion in the line "launch a little ship on love's storm-tossed seas” (line 3). Also there is another slant rhyme of "end" and "pen” on lines 11 and 12. I also noticed that the author kind of mocks the form and content while pretty much staying true the entire time. However, I really found the last line of the poem the most interesting. "Blow out the lights, and at last come to bed" (line 14). Collins uses iambic pentameter (which is a rhythm that the words in that specific line have) after mocking it as "iambic bongos" earlier. I also really enjoyed the irony of the poem; Collins was really able to show the readers what a sonnet is supposed to be while being sarcastic about it the entire time. He is writing a poem about something related to English, but he is being ironic about it. English is also known as Shakespearean sonnet. English/ Shakespearean sonnet normally has rhyme scheme reflects and it reflects the structure of the poem. I think this style of writing draws readers to it. This "Sonnet" is not like most of the other sonnets because it doesn’t really have a big story behind it and normally it’s a love story which I really thought was neat. Most of the other sonnets in our reading homework had some type of love story behind it, but I thought that “Sonnet” was more about mocking what a sonnet is than really writing a sonnet.

1 comment:

  1. I thought so too, I saw it more as a love envy poem. That this person (the narrator) didn’t really feel live, he saw it around him and wanted it but didn’t have it, or felt it. The line 5, “How easily it goes unless you get Elizabethan” I think that he didn’t care for her much, but she was company. I really didn’t like this poem, it wasn’t clean, to say. That the wording phrases he used were hazier. He wasn’t letting the poem flow, he was forcing a bunch of words together, and that really didn’t want to fit.

    ReplyDelete