Monday, December 10, 2012

Harlem - Langston Hughes


This poem, especially at this moment, really hits home for me. Something about it just struck my soul, drew me in, and sliced my heart to pieces with the reality the words held. I’ve been through a lot like this lately, pushing dreams aside for something else, and reading these just sort of blew all of that into reality. I could name so many dreams I used to have, but… What do they do when you push them aside?

Harlem really left me thinking, and my mind is still trying to wrap around that idea, then the last line just… It was like a harsh slap back into reality. Every feeling that I’ve had in the past few years, every dream that I’ve lost, everything just sort of fell into place again, and I really had to sit down and think about it.
What happens to a dream deffered?
[D]oes it just explode?

Well, try and answer it. What do you guys think?  Because I still can’t, even after thinking about it and just staring at my textbook for nearly two hours, I’m still unsure. Langston Hughes has a way with words, one that I wish I could understand and possess myself. The similes thrown about help greatly with the imagery Hughes is providing, the images of the raisin in the sun, the festering sore, rotten meat… All of it pulls together a depressing image.

All I know for sure is that Harlem is a beautiful poem worded wonderfully and thoughtfully, leaving the mind open to many interpretations through the comparisons and contrasts of the rotten meat, the syrupy sweet, the final crushing blows of the heavy load and the line that ties it all together or does it just explode? All of it pulls together to work on a beautifully heart-wrenching piece of literature.

Thank you, Langston Hughes. 

2 comments:

  1. This poem got me thinking as well. First off, the syntax and beauty of Hughes words gave me the desire to pause and think about his question. The imagry... imagery's that he weaves in this poem are vivid and awesome.
    I don't know what a deffered dream will do? Each suggestion makes sence. A dream not acted upon can "wither" into a forgotten idea, or a dream can nag at you taking over all other thoughts like "a sore." But a dream can also just sit there and mold or crust over but I can also see a dream being a burden to daily life making reality seem even worse than it is. I can see that dreams can also explode when we open our eyes to what really is.
    Maybe what happens to a "dream deferred" is tailored to each of us and to certain dreams we desire. This is, altogether, an interesting thought and a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading all of our blogs. We all get new perspectives from each other, I missed some good points in the poem, but reading your post krys and your comment sophie it helps bring new ideas into play. This is another section of poetry I really loved. The imagery was so vived painted the perfect picture. The words cut to the very core to me as well. Also was I the only one who was thinking Inception this whole time? I hate dreams more then anything because A. I never remember them or B. They are so random and I don't get anything from them.

    ReplyDelete