Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cobwebs by Christina Rosetti?

I really really liked this poem! This poet did an absolutely great job with describing everything and as I read it, I read it again and once more just to fully absorb what I was reading. In Cobwebs, I could see everything that seemed to be described as nothing (if that makes any sense at all). I mean yes, this poem is describing land, but when I was reading, I couldn't see any land. At first I thought of a normal peice of land with trees that was a little dim but not too light; completely silent, still and peaceful since there is no wind, rain, or cold. Then I continued and started subtracting everything that wasn't supposed to be there, then though of a completely flat desert with no waves of sand; just flat, dry land that was very plain yet still peaceful. But! Again there continued to be subtractions from the image in my head and eventually I saw nothing. A complete abyss that has never been known to anyone or thing. I guess this poem could have had more meaning to it to someone else who has read it, but I personally would not understand how exactly. Only because this poet did a perfectly good job at describing something that could be very difficult describe. Nothing. Now that I think about it, it is pretty amazing how someone can write something like this. I mean what would you say if somone asked you, "How would you describe nothing?" or, "How would you describe an abyss?" Typically someone would probably say that it's complete nothingness. I'm not sure if everyone would respond that way, but when I think about it, most people who don't want to look at it from a different perspective would say that. Reading this opened my eyes to a new and creative way to actually describe something that is nothing. This whole poem in my opinion, was just creative all together and I loved it. I am not quite sure what my favorite line is...honestly I liked all of it but I think my favorite would probably be line 11. " No pulse of life thro' all the loveless life: And loveless sea; no trace of days before..." I thought it was a beautiful line. But yes, I really liked this poem a lot.     ヽ(*⌒∇⌒*)ノ

No comments:

Post a Comment