Monday, December 3, 2012

Range-Finding

This poem to me portrays death or bad luck. There is a flower hanging half dead, a human was shot at or stabbed, birds protect thier babies, and a spider goes hungry. I think this poem metophorically uses animals, insects, and plants to get across what people go through everyday. "The stricken flower bent double and so hung".( lines 3-4) There are many sicknesses and dieseases that most people deal with, so now are incapable of fully being themselves and hang on to life in any way they can."A butterfly its fall had dispossessed"(line 6), stands for those who just lived their life to the maximum and died. Unlike the flower who only bent in half, the butterfly fell completely "A moment sought in air his flower of rest"(line 7). Also, there is poverty in this world, "The indwelling spider ran to greet the fly, but finding nothing, sullenly withdrew"(lines 13-14). Many of us work, money goes away like nothing sometimes there just isn't enough, not much for food. And for those of those who don't even have a job try to make ends meet, but food is really scarce. There are many eating disorders not only anorexia and billimia, but also small things like ammenia, low/high blood pressure, and diabetes which could eventually get worse within time and without treatment. I see the cobweb as death or the sickness. If a fly gets caught in a web it most certainly will try to fight for its life to get free, if it defeats the web its life will not be the same. That web most likely left some damage on that fly, perhaps took a wing or a leg maybe even left it tramatized. If the web defeats the fly obviously it dies. So what I am trying to say is that what we want to stay away from is the web (by web i mean death/sickness) but some of us get tangled in it.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your idea of this poem being about death. I saw lines 1-4 as the damage of what a gun did to this scene, mainly because the title. The battle rent could be talking about a gun, because it goes into saying how the bullet went through a cobweb, ripped through a flower, and finally hit the receiver of the bullet. The mama bird still went on with her life though, and so did the butterfly even though that flower was his lunch. The whole poem is about either a war or a small battle to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with both you about the poem being about death. I agree with Kolbi, I can see this poem having to be based on a war or some type of battle. The animals in this poem are metaphors to show what people experience in everyday life. I thought that the animals gave the poem more significance. This sonnet followed a rhyme scheme of abba abba ccad ddeffe so it is more of the typical rhyme scheme that is in most of the sonnets. I also noticed that this sonnet does have the fourteen lines that all the other sonnets have, but it didn’t have noticeable rhyming couplets at the end of the poem and I thought that was very interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all y'all. I loved the form of this sonnet and as Brenda said the rhyme scheme is a more typical Petrarchan sonnet style but only at the intro, into the second half it takes a total switch. I'mnot sure what it is called, but I also love the form in the first six lines about how the first line relates to the sixth, the second with the fifth and the third with the fourth. I just like how that was set up.
    I also believe that these situations in nature compare to our own lives as Mayra explained, but I never compared it to war and that was interesting. The imagery was very full and distinct and the language was beautiful. This poem was enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete