Monday, December 3, 2012

[I shall forget you presently, my dear]


This amazing poem is a Shakespearean sonnet, but the rhyming is a bit rocky on places to me. Lines 1 and 3 are simple rhymes, dear / year, but when the writer rhymes lived / contrived (lines 9 & 11) it sounds so forced and out of place. Those two words may have the ‘ived’ at the end but the ‘i’ in lived is so short but the way contrived is pronounced is with the long ‘i’ sound. In line two and three the writer uses repetition with the word little. It’s very pleasing for me to hear the use of the word little this way because it emphasizes the importance of those lines. It’s the whole foundation of the love the narrator is sharing with someone else because they state that the lovers have to make the most of what they have at that moment. This poem fits the definition of a sonnet and doesn’t stray out of the guidelines, it’s exactly fourteen lines long and even though the rhyming is a bit wonky in some places I could only feel it when I read the poem a couple of times.
The story in the poem is also pretty awesome, it’s so simple and about how the idea of love can just blow away like anything else in nature. In the first five lines the narrator tells their lover that they will forget them by either leaving them behind or dying. The narrator tells their love that they should make the best of the time they have (line 1-3) and they can lie to the narrator, who in return will “protest you with [their] favorite lie” which I presume is the phrase “I love you”. Lines ten through fourteen support my idea better because it touches the subject that love isn't normal in nature, humans are only looking for biological love (line 14) because that’s what we need to procreate!

6 comments:

  1. wow, well the whole first paragraph is in bold....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this poem; I liked the us of language used in this sonnet. I think it’s very powerful and bold. This poem makes love seem like a little thing, or that it is like anything else. It can as you said “it can be blown away like anything else in nature.” I like how the poet told how they (the lovers) should be happy with the time they have left, and they should make it worthwhile, or live it like no other. This poem for me was easy to understand; I just felt a personal connection and could understand the significance of this sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this poem; I agree with Olivia. The speaker made love seem like it is insignificant. The line that really caught my attention was line 10 “And vows were not so brittle as they are”. I felt the speaker was saying that even the vows they said to each other aren’t enough to sustain love. To me the speaker seemed very cold and cruel on the topic of love, but I agree with Olivia; I liked how he was very realistic and said that the lovers should be happy in the time they got left because life is short and you should enjoy it to the fullest, especially with your loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this poem was kind of brilliant. I didn't view it as a cold approach to love at all but rather a very down to earth outlook. Because, in all honesty, love does NOT last forever- as Millay wrote in line 4: "Ere I forget, or die, or move away,
    And we are done forever". The speaker is not necessarily saying that all love must fall apart and end in a person's life time; a love can last as long as that person is breathing, but once they move on to another place, spiritually speaking, it done. But it is also true that out of all the relationships a person experiences only few move on to some form of deep love (unless your my dad who only dated two girls and married the second one, my mother). Only a small fraction works out of anyone. I loved the phrases "loveliest lie" and "favorite vow"; in my mind I automatically went to the phrase "I'll love you forever" because it is something that people say ALL THE TIME and is a ultimately, a fib. In time whether it be death or a break up or a move, love will be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete