Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Delay" Elizabeth Jennings

        This poem grabbed my attention because I deciphered it as being with a person you love even if they aren't really there. I feel like lines 1-4 talk about a love that couldn't happen because of a distance conflict. Lines 5-8 seem to say that the time she feels strongly for that one love when she sees the star, it reminds her of him. "The radiance of that star that leans on me was shining years ago" lines 1-2. This star has meant or symbolized something special for awhile. After all this time, it is still meaningful. They feel like they were together if they both looked at the star. Line 5-6, ''Love that loves may not reach me until its first desire is spent. The star's impulse..." Line 8, "And love arrived may find us somewhere else". These lovers aren't together physically. They want to be together physically but they can't for some unfortunate reason involving long-distance, so this star symbolizes the love they have for each other. No matter what part of the world they are in, if they are near or far, they are both able to view that star. "And so the time lag teases me" line 4, says she has a difficult time being without him for so long. The title being "Delay" must mean that their love has been delayed. There is still hope for them being together but with time. The star makes them strong and they could feel the emotional connection through it.
            This poem may not even be about lovers or a couple. Maybe it's about mother and a daughter/son. For some reason they were seperated with the star they reunite. "Was shining years ago", line 2, could mean that those years ago is when she had him/her. But now her kid probably an adult now has made their own life. She doesn't know when she will see him/her again. The star symbolizes a strong bond, which seems to only take effect when it is noticed by the two people it is speaking of, whether it be lovers or mother and child.

4 comments:

  1. If I could do a second response, this is the poem I would have chosen. I have a long distance relationship, so I drew a very personal connection. I really loved the line "Love that may not reach me until its first desire is spent." It is so true, by the time a long distance relationship is able to meet, the desire or lustfulness may be gone, but the love remains. I liked how you talked about it possibly being about a mother and her child, it gave me a really different perspective on it! I agree that the star did symbolize the bond between the two people. A star is so powerful, so comparing the bond a person has to another it's just so strong! I have always been fascinated by stars, the power behind them and just the way they look. I think the poet may signify the bond of the star as her lover or child seeing that star. That no matter where you are in the world. We all look at the same sky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally relate to this poem as well just like Charlene. I was also in a long distance relationship. I also love that line! “Love that may not reach me until its first desire is spent" (Line 5). It does relate to long distance relationships because yes maybe when the two are able to meet again; the spark and desire that they had might be gone. Although I relate to it on a personal level, I also inferred that maybe it is someone grieving a loved one because of the line " And love arrived may find us somewhere else" (Line 8). It’s kind of saying that they will rejoin their love in another place maybe because one of them passed already.

    ReplyDelete