Wednesday, December 12, 2012

On being brought from Africa to America


                This is an entirely new perspective. This view, of being brought to America as being merciful and good, had never crossed my mind. Not that I thought everyone that was brought to America didn’t want to come, but I never thought they would have viewed it as good in any way. The poem was written in 1773 and the slave trade, which was a horrible thing, wasn’t over and slavery wasn’t over either. So it just surprised me that it wasn’t written about how it was horrible or how they would have to fight to survive and gain rights or the grotesque images of the times. It was just very calm, and almost even concerned for themselves in a way. The way Phillis puts it as, “Remember, Christians, Negroes,” and it came off as if a mother were reminding their child. It was odd. It’s not even angry when it briefly mentions the insults and abuse, “Their colour is a diabolic die.” Then, the poem almost agrees with that statement when it says “black as Cain, May be refin’d, and join th’ angelic train.” I don’t think that Phillis agrees that they are of a diabolic die, but that they are really ignorant about God. Spirituallity was one of the most important things back then. It is so weird to think that something that was so wrong could have a good outcome to someone else. Whenever I think of like American ministers that would try to civilize those from other countries, I always just assumed it was annoying to those they tried to civilize because it was like they were taking away the only thing they had left, their culture. I would have never thought that some were glad they came to America. Overall, it was just a completely new thought and took me by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment